|Make a wish, just leave my brain out of it. OK?|
Am I wrong to think it's distasteful for one person to desire that another adopt different beliefs and opinions? That sort of desire seems so...intrusive.
How do people feel about the following statements?
- I hope that you will change your views and become a member of Political Party ABC some day.
- I hope that you change your mind on the music of Artist Y.
- I hope that you will be touched by the work of Charitable Organization Z and reconsider donating.
- I wish that you would reverse your position and become a supporter of Policy P.
- I want you to be persuaded in favor of my Conviction V.
I don't see myself as trying to change people's minds, and I hold no particular desire for anyone to think anything different than they already do. I see myself as expressing my own views and making them available to scrutiny and response.