Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Am Atoned, Bitches!


In a previous episode, I wavered on what would be the most appropriate and happy actions for me to take on Yom Kippur.

Unfortunately, I decided against happiness and good sense:
  • I attended some of my local Yom Kippur services. 
    • I skipped Kol Nidre, but attended the morning and Musaf services the next day.
  • I fasted from before 6:30 pm to about 4:30 pm the next day.
  • Up until the time I actually went to services, I considered driving up to the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH. I would have really enjoyed that.
  • Services were decent.
    • I always like to sing.
    • The rabbi's stories and jokes were generally good.
      • He made, however, one bad evolution joke, the one about monkey's being on the husband's side of the family.
      • He also brought in, completely seriously, an Omphalos argument.
      • Stories of Jewish martyrs don't inspire me at all but rather point to the seriousness of religious and politically based intolerance.
  • If I ever go to another service, it will be with family. I want to be with my wife and kids, my mother and father, my brothers and nieces/nephews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment if you have something substantial and substantiated to say.