Lots of great news and information around today:
- A healthy proportion of students at American colleges and universities aren't gaining much knowledge in the first two years. Let the blame games begin. [But see here for another take.]
- The tree octopus fabrication shows that people may give too much credence to websites.
- Roger Rosenblatt gives four reasons to write.
- Jerry Coyne talks about the green heron, a tool-using bird.
- How to bind a 10,000 page book.
- The Shroud of Turin: Yes, it's a fucking fake. Don't miss the litigious commenter.
- On the Colbert Report, Sean Dorrance Kelly advises us to embrace "the polytheistic pantheon of Homeric literature."