Thursday, March 31, 2005

Thoughts on Terri Schiavo

R.I.P., Terri. Her family has, I hope, some relief today, though I know that there will be plenty of bitterness. To be honest, I am a little surprised at the court decisions. They all seemed to go against the parents and for the husbamd, but I don't know what the legal arguments for the decisions were.

I am also surprised at the high emotions and general meanness that the case generated in the Schiavo/Schindler families. I shouldn't be so surprised. Every time, it seems, a family member dies, rifts are created between families and family members. I have seen it with my family and my wife's family.

I found it utterly distasteful and inappropriate for activists and clergy and politicians to be doing all of their huffing and puffing on the case. They all, and we all, should have just minded our own business.

In the end this wasn't a human drama about rights, dignity, death or love. It was a circus of seething resentment, disenfranchisement, frustration, and exploitation.

Now, I suppose, we'll be able to concentrate more fully on the Michael Jackson trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment if you have something substantial and substantiated to say.