Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Journey of a Thousand (15-minute) Miles

I’ve drafted up a marathon training plan and have even been out for a few miles running in the past week. Well, I say running, but I am actually surprisingly slow. My time for a mile was 15 minutes last time out. Yes, that is correct: 15 minutes for one mile. For some reason, I think that even in my wounded and pained state in the Boston Marathon, I was doing 12-minute miles.

I am on the list for the upcoming Bay State Marathon. Come October, I plan to be ready to run a 4:15-4:30 race. I feel confident I can do it, but I worry about my legs. I’m carrying at over 200 pounds right now. I face a huge chance of injuring myself by trying to build up to long distances at my weight. My training plan calls for a 1.5 pound drop every week, but it may not be enough to save my legs.

We’ll see.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Dying to know how this turned out for you. I am running boston for the 1st time in 2 weeks and I've been running a 15 minute mile for 3 years. I've had a few training runs at a 12 minute per mile pace, but expect to finish the marathon in 6 hours. I'm a charity runner, thats how I got in!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment if you have something substantial and substantiated to say.